The Original Series of Bob the Builder ran between 1998-2004 in the United Kingdom and between 2001-early 2005 in the United States. The series was based on characters created by Keith Chapman, and was animated by HOT Animation using physical, stop-motion models. This show was the most popular out of all the later incarnations.
In the original series, Bob appears as a building contractor specializing in masonry in a stop motion animated program with his colleague Wendy, various neighbors and friends, and their crew of anthropomorphize work-vehicles. All episodes were produced by HiT Entertainment.
Bob the Builder was nominated in the BAFTA "Preschool animation" category from 1999 to 2009, and won the "Children's Animation" category in 2003 for the special episode "A Christmas to Remember". Of the show's success, Sarah Ball said:
|“||I think diggers and dumpers fascinate kids in the same way that they are drawn to dinosaurs. They both have a timeless appeal. The technique of stop motion is very tangible - the characters look like you can just pick them up and play with them. It’s a safe, lovely, bright, colourful world, which is very appealing. Curtis Jobling did a fantastic job designing the show - it’s very simple and stylized but has such charm.||”|
— Interview with Sarah Ball, Gurgle.com
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||November 28, 1998||February 21, 1999|
|2||13||June 04, 1999||August, 27, 1999|
|3||13||December 24, 1999||April 01, 2000|
|4||13||September 12, 2000||December 05, 2000|
|5||13||January 06, 2001||March 31, 2001|
|6||13||September 02, 2002||September 14, 2002|
|7||13||February 03, 2003||February 20, 2003|
|8||13||September 01, 2003||November 24, 2003|
|9||13||April 03, 2004||December 20, 2004|
NOTE: For US dates see here
- Bob Ndertuesi (Albanian)
- Bwb'albina' (Arabic)
- Usta Bob (Azerbaijani)
- Bob o Construtor (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Bob y sus amigos (Castilian Spanish)
- Bob el Manetes (Catalan)
- Graditelji Bob (Croatian)
- Borek stavitel (Czech)
- Byggemand Bob (Danish)
- Bob de Bouwer (Dutch)
- Bob o Construtor (European Portuguese)
- Puuha-Pete (Finnish)
- Bob le Bricoleur (French)
- Bob der Baumeister (German)
- Bob o Mastoras (Greek)
- Boba Bandai (Hebrew)
- Bob da Bildar (Hindi)
- Bob a mester (Hungarian)
- Bubbi Byggir (Icelandic)
- Bob L'aggiustattuto (Italian)
- Boreta Bobu (Japanese)
- Bob el Constructor (Latin Spanish)
- Bob the Builder (Malaysian)
- Byggmester Bob (Norwegian)
- Bob Budowniczy (Polish)
- Bob Constructorul (Romanian)
- Bob Stroitel (Russian)
- Calum Clachair (Scottish Gaelic)
- Majstor Bob (Serbian)
- Bob Staviteľ (Slovak)
- Mojster Miha (Slovenian)
- Byggare Bob (Swedish)
- Bob de Boumaa (Swiss German)
- Bob Usta (Turkish)
- Bob y Bildar (Welsh)
- Ehitaja Bob (Estonian)
- Seasons 1-4 are available in complete series DVDs. Seasons 6-9 are currently available in complete sets on the CBeebies website. Season 5 is the only season not to be released in a completed set.
- This series is the only series to have the original music soundtrack before Project: Build It and Ready, Steady, Build! introduced new music soundtracks beginning with Bob's Big Plan in Series 10-18.
- Seasons 1-6 premiered on Nick Jr. in the US between 2001-03 while Seasons 7-9 premiered on PBS in early 2005. It is unknown why they didn't premier on Nick Jr. in 2003 or 2004. Though, Season 7 was released on home media between 2003-04.
- In August 2019, The US dub was shown on Qubo.
- Canada aired both dubs of the show. The US dub was shown on Treehouse TV and the UK dub was shown on Canada's BBC Kids.
- In November 2018, the BBC posted every episode from Seasons 6 to 9 on the official CBeebies website and BBC iPlayer for the 20th anniversary of the series.
- Unlike the UK, most of the voices from the US dub changed throughout Project Build It and Ready Steady Build, with Bob, Dizzy, Roley, Lofty, Spud, Mr. Bentley, Farmer Pickles, Scoop, and other characters getting new voice-actors and actresses (with the exception of Wendy) after the end of main series from the original show ended and the Snowed Under movie leading up to the Project: Build It with the introduction of Scrambler. It is unknown why most of the original voices from the US dub either got replaced or why they left.
- Seasons 3-9 are the only seasons to be fully released on home media in North America. Seasons 1-2 each both have one episode missing making them incomplete on home media or their home releases for the missing episodes are still currently unknown.
|Project: Build It|
|Ready, Steady, Build!|